Skip to main content

An American Plague by Jim Murphy

This book is a multi-award winner for a reason.  It is fascinating!  I'll admit, when I first saw the book, I thought it looked boring and was not drawn to it at all.  However, once I opened it and saw its engaging format, I decided to give it a try.  It is written in dramatic narrative, which means it reads like a story.  It is also about a real event in our history, the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1793.  I found the factual basis of the story to be so interesting and enjoyed how it gave a glimpse into what life and medicine were like in that time.  Another outstanding feature of this book is that it includes prints of actual documents from that time as primary sources.  That adds so much to the experience of reading this excellent book.  I'd recommend it to anyone- don't hesitate to give it a try! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Three Times Lucky by Sheila Turnage

Three Times Lucky is one of my absolute favorite books that I discovered a few years ago.  It is a mystery, but has so many moments where I was giggling out loud as I read the hilarious adventures of Mo LoBeau, the main character.  She is a feisty young girl that lives with Miss Lana and the Colonel, and spends a lot of time wondering if she'll ever find her "upstream" mother.  She is a character you can't help but like, and she makes this a book that you'll find difficult to put down once you start reading it!  Thankfully, this is the first book in a 3-book series, so there are even more adventures with Mo to enjoy after this one! 

The Witches by Roald Dahl

This is one of my all-time favorite books.  I was introduced to it when I was in 5th grade and my teacher read it to the class.  I remember being totally mesmerized by this incredible story.  Roald Dahl is one of my favorite authors and I've read nearly all of his books.  This book is about a young boy who learns about "real witches" from listening to his grandmother, and his own first-hand encounters with witches.  It is full of adventure, humor, and delightful word choice that makes it a hard book to put down!

The Undefeated by Kwame Alexander

This book was a selection I had chosen for World Read Aloud Day last week.  Our high school literacy club sent students over to do a read aloud for each of my 3 classes that day.  This book is powerful, thought-provoking, and has beautiful illustrations.  It is a picture book, so it doesn't take long to read.  One of my favorite features of the book is that it provides information in the back about many notable Black Americans that are alluded to in the story.  It is a worthwhile read by a great author!